Thursday 6 March 2014

O-Week #1 (Creation before creating)

"Basilica of Sant' Andrea, Mantua" - This sketch was part of ARCH1121 assignment focussing on great architecture of the Renaissance, in particular, that of Leon Battista Alberti. The image particular captured my attention for its use of giant order columns which employed a Corinthian-style capital, as well as its representation of Roman-characterization in the Renaissance-period and the triumphal-motif prevalent amongst most architects of that era.










"Sendai Mediatheque" (Toyo Ito) - A brilliant piece of architecture that I find (as Civil Engineering student) to incorporate both structural integrity and strength without sacrificing aesthetics, especially "the steel-ribbed slabs floating on top of thirteen vertical steel lattice columns that stretch from ground plane to the roof. This striking visual quality that is one of the most identifiable characteristics of the project is comparable to large trees in a forest, and function as light shafts as well as storage for all of the utilities, networks and systems." (ArchDaily, 2013).

"Taken in Dubai, UAE" - Taken just before I entered my enrolment preferences into UAC. This is perhaps the quintessential moment in my life where my choices for my future career became clear, and my life's goals where set. Incidentally, I wasn't actually thinking about buildings...just the way everything was put together in place, and the way the light shone through them. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment